Glasgow Necropolis Walking Tours Programme and Events
- Walking Tours Programme 2014
- Booking a Tour
- Planning your Visit
- Bespoke Walking Tours
- Talk and Presentation
Our walking tours are run by our extremely, well informed, volunteer tour guides. We do not ask for a specific fee for our walking tours but do ask if you can be generous as all our donations go towards the conservation and restoration of the Necropolis. If you prefer to take a walk round in your own time but would like a little help we have an easy to follow pocket guide to 60 of the most famous monuments see our Books page. Some of the proceeds of this sale goes to the Necropolis.
All our tours are free of charge, however, as a registered Scottish charity, all donations are hugely welcome to assist in our education and restoration work within the Glasgow Necropolis. Our current restoration project is that of the Monteath Mausoleum. Find out more at our Monteath Appeal page.
Make a donation to the Monteath Appeal via Paypal.
Due to the phenomenal success of our tours in 2013, The Friends of Glasgow Necropolis are delighted to announce our walking tour dates for 2014. These informal and informative tours of the Glasgow Necropolis will be undertaken, weather permitting, as per the dates noted below. The tour guides assigned to each tour are also listed below. The assignations are subject to change.
- Saturday 15th March 2014 @ 2.00pm-Tour Guide Annette Mullen
- Sunday 30th March 2014 @ 12 noon- Tour Guide Jannis Low
- Sunday 13th April 2014 @ 12 noon-Tour Guide Nigel Willis
- Friday 18th April 2014 @ 6.00pm -Tour Guides Ruth Johnston & Sylvia Smith (1 hour tour)
- Saturday 26th April 2014 @ 2.00pm-Tour Guide Sarah Morrison
- Saturday 3rd May 2014 @ 1.00pm -Tour Guide Gavin McNae
- Friday 16th May @ 6.00pm -Tour Guides Ruth Johnston & Sylvia Smith (1 hour tour)
- Saturday 31st May 2014 @ 2.00pm -Tour Guide Joyce McNae
- Friday 20th June 2014 @ 6.00pm- Tour Guides Ruth Johnston & Sylvia Smith (1 hour tour)
- Saturday 21st June 2014 @ 1.00pm-Tour Guide Scott Kerr
- Sunday 6th July 2014 @ 2.00pm-Tour Guide Annette Mullen
- Friday 18th July 2014 @ 6.00pm – Tour Guides Ruth Johnston & Sylvia Smith (1 hour tour)
- Saturday 19th July 2014 @ 12 noon–Tour Guide Sarah Morrison
- Saturday 2nd August 2014 @ 1.00pm-Tour Guide Jannis Low
- Friday 15th August 2014 @ 6.00pm – Tour Guides Ruth Johnston & Sylvia Smith (1 hour tour)
- Saturday 23rd August 2014 @ 2.00pm & 5.00pm -Tour Guides Scott Kerr & Annette Mullen
- Friday 12th September 2014 @ 6.00pm – Tour Guide – Ruth Johnston & Sylvia Smith (1 hour tour)
- Saturday 4th October 2014 @ 12 noon- -Tour Guide Nigel Willis
- Sunday 26th October 2014 @ 2.00pm -Tour Guide Gavin McNae
- Sunday 23rd November 2014 @ 12 noon-Tour Guide Joyce McNae
- Saturday 6th December 2014 @ 1.00pm -Tour Guide Scott Kerr
Prior booking is essential, with members of The Friends of the Glasgow Necropolis having priority booking. All other places will be allocated on a first come basis and the meeting point will be provided with every confirmed booking.
Given the ever increasing popularity and demand for our tours we expect them to be fully subscribed, so if you want to come along, and to avoid disappointment of the tours being sold out, please book early by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
The Glasgow Necropolis is located nearby Glasgow’s medieval Cathedral and is on the second highest hill in Glasgow. Allow approximately 2 hours for your visit as the cemetery covers 37 acres. If you have to rest please use some of the low walls to sit on. Please do not climb on the memorials, please keep to the paths and wear suitable clothing and footwear. There are no toilet facilities on the site – nearby St Mungo’s Museum has toilet facilities but please note it closes at 5pm.
Click here to find out more about the Location of the Necropolis and how to get there.
As well as our Walking Tour Programme we also undertake bespoke tours for groups and organisations. These tours can be tailored to suit your requirements. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.Share on Facebook