Glasgow Necropolis Walking Tours Programme and Events
- Walking Tours Programme 2016
- Booking a Tour
- Planning your Visit
- Bespoke Walking Tours
- Talk and Presentation
Our walking tours are run by our extremely, well informed, volunteer tour guides. We do not ask for a specific fee for our walking tours but do ask if you can be generous as all our donations go towards the conservation and restoration of the Necropolis. If you prefer to take a walk round in your own time but would like a little help we have an easy to follow pocket guide to 60 of the most famous monuments see our Books page. Some of the proceeds of this sale goes to the Necropolis.
All our tours are free of charge, however, as a registered Scottish charity, all donations are hugely welcome to assist in our education and restoration work within the Glasgow Necropolis. Our current restoration project is that of the Monteath Mausoleum. Find out more at our Monteath Appeal page.
Make a donation to the Monteath Appeal via Paypal.
Walking Tour Programme 2016
These informal and informative tours of the Glasgow Necropolis will be undertaken, weather permitting, as per the dates noted below. The tour guides assigned to each tour are also listed below. The assignations are subject to change.
The Friday evening tours last approximately one hour.
The Saturday and Sunday tours last approximately two hours.
- Sunday 7th February @ 1.00pm – Tour Guide Annette Mullen & Duncan Sloan
- Saturday 20th February @ 12.00 noon – Tour Guide Sarah Morrison
- Sunday 13th March @ 2.00pm – Tour Guide Scott Kerr & Duncan Sloan
- Friday 25th March @ 5.00pm – Tour Guide Ruth Johnston (Good Friday)
- Sunday 27th March @ 1.00pm – Tour Guide Jannis Low (Easter Sunday)
- Sunday 3rd April @ 12.00 noon – Tour Guide Gavin & Joyce McNae
- Friday 15th April @ 6.00pm – Tour Guide Ruth Johnston
- Saturday 23rd April @ 2.00pm – Tour Guide Scott Kerr & Duncan Sloan
- Sunday 1st May @ 1.00pm – Tour Guide Annette Mullen & Scott Kerr – bank holiday weekend
- Friday 27th May @ 6.00pm Tour – Guide Ruth Johnston & Duncan Sloan
- Sunday 29th May @ 2.00pm – Tour Guide Nigel Willis – bank holiday weekend
- Saturday 4th June @ 2.00pm – Tour Guide Annette Mullen & Scott Kerr
- Friday 10th June @ 6.00pm- Tour Guide Ruth Johnston
- Sunday 19th June @ 1.00pm – Tour Guide Sarah Morrison & Duncan Sloan
- Sunday 3rd July @ 2.00pm – Tour Guide Jannis Low & Duncan Sloan
- Friday 8th July @ 6.00pm – Tour Guide Ruth Johnston
- Saturday 16th July @ 12.00 noon – Tour Guide Duncan Sloan
- Saturday 6th August @ 1.00pm – Tour Guide Scott Kerr
- Friday 12th August @ 6.00pm – Tour Guide Ruth Johnston
- Saturday 20th August @ 2.00pm & 5.00pm – Tour Guides Scott Kerr, Annette Mullen & Duncan Sloan
- Please note our tour dates for Doors Open 2016 in September are to be confirmed
- Saturday 1st October @ 12.00 noon – Tour Guide Joyce & Gavin McNae
- Sunday 23rd October @ 2.00pm – Tour Guide Duncan Sloan
- Sunday 6th November @ 1.00pm – Tour Guide Annette Mullen
- Saturday 19th November @ 12.00 noon – Tour Guide Jannis Low
- Saturday 3rd December @ 1.00pm – Tour Guide Scott Kerr
- Sunday 18th December @ 12.00 noon – Tour Guide Annette Mullen & Scott Kerr
Prior booking is essential. To book a place on a tour, please visit the Booking a Tour section of this page.
Prior booking is essential, with members of The Friends of the Glasgow Necropolis having priority booking. All other places will be allocated on a first come basis and the meeting point will be provided with every confirmed booking.
Given the ever increasing popularity and demand for our tours we expect them to be fully subscribed, so if you want to come along, and to avoid disappointment of the tours being sold out, please book early by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Glasgow Necropolis is located nearby Glasgow’s medieval Cathedral and is on the second highest hill in Glasgow. Allow approximately 2 hours for your visit as the cemetery covers 37 acres. If you have to rest please use some of the low walls to sit on. Please do not climb on the memorials, please keep to the paths and wear suitable clothing and footwear. There are no toilet facilities on the site – nearby St Mungo’s Museum has toilet facilities but please note it closes at 5pm.
Click here to find out more about the Location of the Necropolis and how to get there.
As well as our Walking Tour Programme we also undertake bespoke tours for groups and organisations. These tours can be tailored to suit your requirements. Please contact email@example.com for details.